Jason



What I'm reading:

Redemption Accomplished and Applied
Redemption Accomplished and Applied
by John Murray



News:
Wednesday, August 01, 2001
“When it comes to establishing personhood, the burden of proof is on whoever wants to restrict freedom.”

This was written to me by a friend who believes that abortion is acceptable because personhood is achieved sometime after conception. He claims that restricting abortion rights is a restriction of reproductive rights and that abortion is not immoral because it does not harm a person. I object to his assignment of the burden of proof for two reasons.

1) Murder is the ultimate restriction of freedom. Obviously, my friend does not believe that abortion is murder. But, in the same manner, I do not believe that “reproductive rights” grant the right for parents to kill their children. I claim that abortion kills children. He claims that restrictions on abortion alter sexual activity and bring unwanted children into the world. We both allege a restriction of freedom; I contend that murder is the greater restriction.

2) If my friend is correct, then I am guilty of attempting to force people to alter their sexual activity. If abortion were not an option, more precautions, including birth control or abstinence, would be necessary to prevent pregnancy. (I could argue for the morality of responsible sexual behavior, but it isn’t necessary here.) Additionally, unwanted children would be born rather than aborted, potentially increasing poverty, child abuse, etc. If I am wrong, some measure of human misery is my fault. However, if I am right and abortion is murder, then my friend is guilty of supporting and rationalizing that murder. If he is wrong, the blood of children is on his hands.

In short, I believe the burden of proof is on the challenger of the defender of life.




Comments: Post a Comment


DAYPOP